These are styling tips for body type Y, the sporty carrot 🥕! If you’re Y, this means that your shoulders are usually wider than hips, you can have slender legs, narrow hips and a straight waistline.
Finding out your body type is the key to great style. Once you know the styling rules for your body shape, you know how to break them as well – this makes styling and dressing fun! Knowing the styling “rules” for enhancing your figure doesn’t mean you have to stick to them all the time, but it can help you to enhance your style FOREVER.
Want to know your body type? Take the test here
Body Type Y Characteristics
The Y stands for slender legs and a fuller upper body half, mostly with a flat belly.
With a few tricks, you will create a well proportioned, feminine silhouette!
- Shoulders are wider than hips
- Slender legs
- Narrow hips
- Straight waistline
- Bust can be full
Potential Problem Areas
- Bottoms: Accentuate the legs by using bright colours and patterns. Wear wide-leg trousers, midi and mini skirts.
- Tops and jackets: Wear deep necklines and asymmetric shoulders. Layer your tops and use cardigans. Long tailored coats would look great on you!
- Dresses and accessories: Wear A-line and asymmetric dresses. Shirt and mermaid dresses would also look great on you. Compliment your look by using long scarves and striking shoes.
- Patterns and fabrics: Wear clean dark tops that can also have vertical stripes. Use soft fabrics and bold patterns for bottoms.
Styling Don’ts, what to avoid
To create a perfect wardrobe and personal style according to your body type, you should skip some fashion trends. Fashion trends come and go every season, but good style lasts. You will of course find a few trends every season that can be great for your body type, but others can be reserved for other great shapes!
- Bottoms: Avoid high waisted items such as high waisted skinny jeans. Don’t wear dark coloured bottoms or tight pencil skirts.
- Tops and jackets: Avoid turtle or high necks. Don’t wear polo shirts, items with shoulder pads, spaghetti straps or puffy sleeves.
- Dresses and accessories: Avoid wide sleeved dresses. Don’t wear shapeless, embelished or slip dresses. Try not to wear square necklines.
- Patterns and fabrics: Avoid patterned and horizontal stripped tops. Try not to wear dark or bold patterned bottoms.